Monday, February 13, 2012

Potluck in the Park(ing garage)

The entrance to the potluck, after it's over.

One of the cool traditions of Portland is having a weekly Potluck in the Park. It's where volunteers gather together downtown to serve hot food (and a lot of it) to anyone who wants or needs it. I thought it was for feeding the Homeless, but not everyone that is in need lives on the streets. There were people who went through the line that have a job and apartment and everything, but were just struggling to make ends meet.
The program is 100% run by volunteers, and they serve a meal to nearly 500 people in an hour and 15 min. Not only that, people are given produce and baked goods, all donated by local groceries or bakeries. And there was no skimping on the portion sizes. There were three or four times that our director came up to my macaroni salad-serving partner and told her to "scoop big scoops! Big! See? Like this," and then proceeded to get about twice as much food on the spoon than she could get on it.
Yep, Brad and I went the last Sunday in January. It was amazing. We helped set up a temporary cafeteria in the middle of a parking garage. It's called Potluck in the Park because it is in the park, weather permitting. It's in the parking garage otherwise. I kinda think they're kidding themselves though. It's Portland. It just be Potluck in the Parking Garage, and should be held up in the park in case there is good weather.

Those pipes were dripping like crazy, but the volunteers even went around prior to set up to tie towels around them with duct tape to prevent dripping. Awesome.
These people are all nurse anesthetists/students and spouses. Fun group. I really wanted to keep my shirt and wear it as a dress, but, had to give it back. Wah wah.

I'm grateful for a job. I'm grateful for a home. I'm grateful for an incredible support system. I most likely will never have to utilize one of these potlucks, but who knows? All I know is, I'm grateful for the incredible people who have been voluntarily putting together a hot, nutritious meal every week for over 20 yrs for those who are in need. It is truly a Christ-like program.

And no. I haven't gone since. But we definitely will go again. Right, Brad?

No comments:

Post a Comment