Thursday, July 5, 2012

Girls weekend!

I must say, I miss my friends and family in Utah and elsewhere. But, living in Portland has some incredible advantages. Three, specifically, are Kristin, Sarah, and Ashley, my high school friends! They all live within pretty reasonable distance, and so we get together periodically to escape the toils and tribulations of reality to be in the perfect bliss of one another's company. Ha, nah, reality isn't a tribulation, but their company is always much anticipated. Love these chicas!
We went to The Screen Door restaurant for dinner, which was fun, and very Portland. And by "very Portland," I mean Southern food, so I guess the fact that it's trendy is Portland... People start lining up 45 minutes before the doors to this place open. The food was overall pretty good. I like their breakfast better, though. It's really just for the experience. I don't think I ever had hush puppies or collard greens before that night! Collard greens: Not my fave.
We then went on a hunt for a bathroom along 23rd street in Portland, which was fun. We went by some cool shops, and I found a lip gloss that I really wanted to buy! One question I have for all the store owners out there: Do you, when you have people ask to use the bathroom from off the street who are clearly not there to shop, just tell them, "Oh, yeah, we have a bathroom, but someone's in it right now," regardless of whether or not that is true? That happened at least 3 times where we waited for 5 minutes at least, and no one came out. That's pretty tricky. 
We then went and stood in another line and waited for some famous ice cream. This place, Salt and Straw, is pretty famous. Always has a line out the door, even on rainy days, and even OPRAH liked one of the flavors on her "favorite things" or whatever. She has bad taste, actually. She liked the olive oil flavored one, and it was gross. Anyway, they have salted caramel, gooey brownie, snickerdoodle, almond brittle with salted ganache, honey strawberry balsamic vinegar with cracked pepper, bleu cheese and pear, and even bone marrow. They make all their ice cream in store with local ingredients. So Portland. So fun. 
The next day we went to Ashley's home for breakfast. It was maybe the best part of the whole weekend! She made these round pancakes called Ebelskivers, and she made eggs. It was all so good. 

Outside Screen Door (Cell phone picture from Sarah)


The Line: Note, the umbrellas. I'm actually surprised there were umbrellas, as it was only lightly sprinkling, and we are in the Northwest. Must be tourists.


Such a good place. Highly recommend it. Even if you don't love the flavors, it's cool that they're all so weird.


Sarah, Ashley, Kristin, and I.



Us at Ash's house (stole the pic from Ash).

1 comment:

  1. It was a great weekend. Thanks for letting us hang out at your place. I'm excited for our trip to the coast next month.

    ReplyDelete