Friday, February 15, 2013

Pregnancy lows. Maybe lifetime lows...

I think most, or at least many, women want to be healthy and have healthful habits while pregnant. I know I started out with great intentions of running for as long as I could throughout the nine months of growing a child. I also wanted to eat nearly exclusively nutritious foods. I thought I would allow myself to give in to a craving or two here or there, but mostly I wanted to be a standard of health to all who see me (exaggeration). I also wanted to have the minimum weight gain required for a healthy pregnancy. I don't know many women who want to gain MORE than they have to, though. But some probably don't care.

So, a confession. I have not been perfect.

Here are a couple of low points for me, this pregnancy:

Did you notice it's the bonus size? 10% more....
 I mean, Mac & Cheese. It's one of those foods that is associated with childhood. It's a comfort food, right? Well, I not only bought a couple of boxes of this food (which I normally don't ever do), but I ate an ENTIRE box in one sitting. It just fit so nicely into my apparently large bowls. But yeah. That's definitely a low for me.

Don't EVER try this at home. Especially if you are alone.
Who knew about Ben & Jerry's?? I had tried one flavor back in college with my sister, Robin, but other than that, I really hadn't had much of this ice cream. It's too expensive. You can get a pint of ice cream or half gallon of ice cream for the same price. You do the math. Well, trying the ice cream wasn't actually the low point. In fact, I had bought another pint a couple weeks ago that I made sure I only ate the recommended serving size of 1/2 cup. The low point here was that I ate this entire pint of ice cream in 24 hours.

I think overall I'm doing pretty well. I'm certainly not running much, largely because I feel like I might wet myself if I do. And because I'm too lazy. I am exercising here and there, and am gaining weight within the normal range of 25-35 lbs. So, overall, I'm kinda on track. But I thought I'd share the above experiences because I suppose I wonder if I'm the only one who sinks to such lows? And because I thought it was funny.

7 comments:

  1. Oh girl. You are not alone My mom and sister are L&D nurses - so I feel like they are watching me like hawks - everything I put in my mouth and how often I walk and what my blood sugar is and my blood pressure...so I try to make the best choices, but girl - you gotta do what you gotta do to survive 9 months of growing a person! I gained weight faster than normal once I wasn't sick anymore (4 months-ish) - then the last 3 months I plateaued and didn't gain until the last 2 weeks. Which means I gained a ton and then lost weight while the baby sucked everything out of me :)

    The fact that you are conscious of it - is reason enough to not be worried. I know you know - cuz you know - you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you try. I don't even care when I'm pregnant. At 36 weeks pregnant with the twins I was 204. I'm 36 weeks now and had my appointment this morning and I'm at 185. That's pretty monstrous but like I said, I just don't even care. Too hard to worry about when there are so many other pressing things to think about, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally been crazing mac and cheese all the time ; ) luckily, I have issues when I'm pregnant that keep me on a pretty strict diet otherwise I'd be eating everything! Spurge and ENJOY IT!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all start out with the best intentions. I know I did everytime. At the start of each pregnancy I was like, "This time I'm gonna exercise until the very end. And I'm gonna eat so healthy!" And then the sickness would set in and I'm like, "Hmm... what will taste OK if it comes back up." And at that point I start getting into some crappy habits. I think if you're eating MOSTLY good, healthy foods you're just fine. We've all had plenty of those low points, believe me. :) I think you're a pretty healthy eater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! I bet you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. agree with all the above :) and especially with ashleys comment, I was always sick the whole time and feel n expert in which foods taste best/better coming up...Mac and cheese is one of them. lol its all about survival.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. I say your only job is to make a cute baby. anything beyond that is totally noble and good, but definitely a bonus. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete