Sunday, October 23, 2011

Keeping it weird

Last weekend, and just when I thought I couldn't bear being away from my family a minute longer, two of my siblings said they wanted to come hang out with me. Best unbirthday gift EVER. Jeremy and his girlfriend Mary drove down from Tacoma to "check out Portland," and Lisa and her hubby Evan drove from UTAH to "hang out/watch the BYU and OSU game."
So, we played.
Brad and I had signed up to do a service project with the church, to volunteer at the Oregon Food Bank. We figured we should go. Oh, and we wanted to. Fun little side note: Turns out the service activity was for THIS weekend, and we didn't show up. We went the wrong weekend and worked for an hour and a half bagging frozen peas with people we did not know. Then we didn't go this weekend cuz we thought an hour and a half is PLENTY of service for one month, thank you very much. Anyway, we went and did that while Lisa, Jer, and Mary went for a walk at the Arboretum.
After we got done serving the greater Portland area, we came home and put together dinner in a crock pot, and while Brad stayed home to "study," Lisa, Jeremy, Mary and I explored Portland. Pictures below...
Evan, during all this, was at the game. BYU spanked 'em!!!

I really do love this city's motto. This is Mary, Lisa, and I being weird, I guess.

Once we got to Portland we went straight to the Farmer's Market. It was so fun. Free samples of food everywhere, flowers, tons of people. It was like an outdoor Costco! Except, you don't really buy in bulk.

Here is Lisa and I at the market. I'm on the right.

This is at Powell's Books. Largest new and used bookstore in...the world! I dunno if that's true, but it is an entire city block. I just thought these bike racks were cute. All book titles relating to bikes!

Lisa being artsy fartsy, I guess.

How Portland is this?!?

And this?!? (Note the umbrella in his pocket)

Look closely. This is the line approaching Voodoo Doughnut, another Portland claim to fame. And yes, we did wait in that line, and yes, it was worth it. But I don't think I'd do it again. Go on a weekday.
They actually have a doughnut just like that little guy with a pin sticking out of it.
Jeremy and Mary. Jer's doughnut has chocolate frosting, crushed oreos, and peanut butter drizzle on top. Um, whoa.
Lisa and I, and yes, that IS a maple bar with 2 strips of bacon. Surprisingly delicious, especially considering I don't love bacon. Or doughnuts really.

One disturbing and sad thing I saw while enjoying a doughnut, was a man digging through the trash can to find a half-eaten doughnut to eat himself. Ugh. So sad. I would have thrown away half my doughnut had I known.
Once we were all back at home, we ate pot roast and had some rhubarb flavored dry soda that Jer and Mary brought, which was a fun, new experience. After that we all played a kickin' game of Jenga. Guess who lost? ME. Guess who didn't lose the next round? ME AGAIN!!!
Then Evan came home, and we coerced him into making chocolate chip cookies. It was his responsibility because... Well, because he was willing. Jeremy really shoulda done it cuz he lost Jenga the second round. Brad went and bought chocolate chips, and then we had a cookie fest.
Next day, they all left me.

No comments:

Post a Comment